** River Crossings **

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      JJ
      Keymaster

The Schuylkill River intersects the perimeter twice, and crossing it is one of the many challenges of finding your way around the city’s edge.

On the northern border, the City Ave bridge runs right across the perimeter, and has a pedestrian footpath on the north side, but there isn’t a clear / safe access to that footpath on either end of the bridge.

Alternative routes might include heading north into Bala Cynwyd where there might be a way across the Pencoyd Bridge between Manayunk and Bala Cynwyd. Downstream of the City Ave bridge, the next option to cross is the Falls Bridge, but getting to and from it might be tricky too.

Other options include going further up and down stream (you could detour all the way down into center city and cross on the Market Street bridge, and that would be a fabulous application of the Roomba Rule of going around obstacles) or getting someone to give you a ride across the bridge.

REMEMBER: You’re engaging in this exploration at your own risk; only go where you feel safe!

On the southern border, the closest bridge to the perimeter is the I-95 bridge, but it doesn’t have a pedestrian passage.

(Actually, it seems to have a maintenance access catwalk beneath it, but that access starts quite high off the ground and is clearly intended only for maintenance / emergency use. If anyone knows how to get permission to access it, let me know as I’d love to walk it someday.)

The next bridge up from there is the Platt Bridge, which does have a somewhat accessible footpath on the South side (the northern one dead-ends into a highway ramp) – but access on either end still involves rougher non-sidewalk land. Further up from there is the Passyunk Ave bridge, and just like with the northern crossing, you can always roomba all the way into center city, or catch a ride across.

Roomba Rule primer: If and when you encounter an obstacle (be it a fence, an obstruction, an area that you don’t feel safe waking in, or anything else getting between you and the perimeter) all you have to do is go around it, as if you were a little robot vacuum cleaner bouncing it’s way around a piece of furniture. This can lead to long zigzag detours, but if you approach them in an open spirit of curiosity and discovery, they’re bound to be enjoyable!

Cliff Schwinger
      Participant

Thanks JJ! Looking at Google Maps I can see the sidewalk on the Platt Bridge. That’s how we’ll get over the river. Cliff

Cliff Schwinger
      Participant

There is a sidewalk on both the northbound and southbound lanes of the Platt Bridge. Which is the best? It looks like the sidewalk on the northbound side may be the better option because it goes a little further. Am I right?

JJ
      Keymaster

Hi Cliff, and be careful with that north sidewalk – from my recollections of driving to the airport, it just drops you directly into a pretty busy highway exchange ramp, and that feels too dangerous to walk for me. (I mentioned this in the post above – please be safe!)

Michael Schill
      Participant

Hey all, i tried to cross the Platt Bridge today and was unable to access the south side sidewalk, because there was construction going on right at its base, and there are several (3-5) signs placed along it over the bridge that seem to completely block passage. It’s possible that the construction work/workers won’t be there other days and that there may be a relatively safe way to squeeze around the signs. (as for me i ended up heading up 26th st and then over the river using Passyunk.)

JJ
      Keymaster

That sounds like an excellent application of the Roomba Rule. And I bet there were interesting things to see along that stretch towards Passyunk…

Ross Hoffman
      Participant

For what it’s worth: I crossed the Platt Bridge using the south sidewalk (heading west to east) and had no problems – I found it pretty easy to get around the signs you mentioned (which, annoyingly, seem to be the only real reason that sidewalk is currently marked as “closed.”) It was a Sunday so construction wasn’t happening.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.